Richard Swinburne and Philip Goff debate why are we here? Is it time we moved on from both God and Atheism, as Goff suggests in his new book Why? The Purpose of the Universe? Unbelievable Host Vince Vitale guides us through as Goff argues that the traditional God is a bad explanation of cosmic purpose. Instead, he explores a range of alternative possibilities for accounting for cosmic purpose, from the speculation that we live in a computer simulation to the hypothesis that the universe itself is a conscious mind.
Richard Swinburne is a Fellow of the British Academy, and has received honorary doctorates from three overseas universities. He was Professor of the Philosophy of Religion at the University of Oxford from 1985 until 2002. Since then he has continued to lecture extensively in many countries. He is best known for his trilogy on the philosophy of theism -The Coherence of Theism, The Existence of God, and Faith and Reason. Richard Swinburne and James Sterba are launching a new debate Why would a good God allow so much suffering? early in 2024.
Dr Philip Goff is Professor of Philosophy at Durham University. His research focuses on consciousness and the ultimate nature of reality. Goff is best known for defending panpsychism, the view that consciousness pervades the universe and is a fundamental feature of it.
Richard Swinburne debating Richard Dawkins
Philip Goff: Why? The Purpose of the Universe
Social Media: https://twitter.com/Philip_Goff
• Subscribe to the Unbelievable? podcast: https://pod.link/267142101
• More shows, free eBook & newsletter: https://premierunbelievable.com
• For live events: http://www.unbelievable.live
• For online learning: https://www.premierunbelievable.com/training
• Support us in the USA: http://www.premierinsight.org/unbelievableshow
• Support us in the rest of the world: https://www.premierunbelievable.com/donate